Interesting People mailing list archives

more on and question more on gasoline price history

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:57:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard O'Brien <robrien () paymentpathways com>
Date: August 31, 2005 9:13:38 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] and question more on gasoline price history

Dave,
A partial answer to your question:  A proportional part of the gold is
ending up in the pockets of the largest credit-card issuing banks and the
largest payment processors.  Why does our cost of transacting (charges
traditionally paid by merchants and passed on to consumers embedded in the street price) rise proportionally with the retail price of gasoline? Are transaction risks greater when commodoties such as gasoline are purchased?
Is this a glimpse of a bottleneck monopoly in practise?   Safer and more
efficient payment systems will emerge and tip consumer behavior when today's
dominant payment infrastructure is understood to be a regressive tax on
those who rely on transportation to earn a living.

Who really pays for the 5% cash back on gasoline purchases recently offered by Discover Card this summer? The merchants? The other consumers who pay
for gas with other credit cards?
Rick