Interesting People mailing list archives

more on What media monopolies?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:10:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dana Blankenhorn <danablankenhorn () mindspring com>
Date: August 26, 2005 3:17:59 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] What media monopolies?

This is the kind of brain-dead study I always have problems with.

Stock market value is not a proper measure of market power. Market power is
the proper measure of market power.

Here, for instance is the five year chart of The Coca-Cola Co., which holds
a virtual duopoly on the drinks market with Pepsi. (I happen to own 100
shares in my SEP IRA. It's part of being an Atlantan.)

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=KO&t=5y

You'll see the stock price has been virtually flat the last five years. Is this because the drinks market is wildly competitive? No. Prices for fizzy
water haven't fallen, either.

The idea that 5 idiots have managed to keep their advantages from filtering down to shareholders and thus they're not monopolists is absurd on its face.

Oh, and Intel stock hasn't been able to get out of its own way since 2001, either. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=INTL&t=5y
Does that prove they're not a monopolist?

All this study proves is that, at best, the media companies are incompetent monopolists.

Dana Blankenhorn   dana () a-clue com
Mooreslore Blog    http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/
ZDNet OpenSource    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/index.php