Interesting People mailing list archives

more on CNN special on Iraq war intelligence failures

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:34:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Wiggins <richard.wiggins () gmail com>
Date: August 25, 2005 8:38:56 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: chodge5 () utk edu
Subject: Re: [IP] more on CNN special on Iraq war intelligence failures

Dr. Hodge, and Dave,

Thank you for thoughtful and insightful words, but forgive me for questioning the notion that Americans who opposed the war in Vietnam expressed widespread antipathy towards our soldiers. Too many were brothers or cousins or friends. They were doing what they were drafted to do.

PLEASE, can we move beyond this false razor's edge, the notion that if you oppose a war, you don't support the troops. Please?

I grew up in the Vietnam Era, just south of you in the Tennessee Valley, and was one of the cohort last to be given a draft number before the U.S. declared "victory" and cut and ran.

I believe the notion that those who opposed the war in Vietnam disrespected American soldiers is overblown. People think in terms of Oliver Stone and Jane Fonda stereotypes. Personally, I opposed the war starting circa 1970, at age 14, but I never looked down on American troops doing their duty, and I never met else anyone who did, either.

One can oppose a war while respecting troops doing their duty. That was true in the Vietnam era -- and, as you observe, it is most definitely true now.

The problem is that supporters of this war tar opponents with this canard.

/rich