Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Oppenheimer and other unwelcomes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:26:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Philip L. Lehman" <p.lehman () iCarnegie com>
Date: August 4, 2005 10:01:30 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Oppenheimer and other unwelcomes

David Farber wrote:

Begin forwarded message:
From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
If anything we seem even more hostile towards the rest of the world than we did in the 1950’s … it was also the same time we added “in God we Trust” to the Pledge of Allegiance.

At the risk of focusing on the details, the words "under God" were added to the Pledge in 1954 (see http://history.vineyard.net/ pledge.htm).

"In God We Trust", on coins for example, dates from significantly earlier (see, for example, http://www.religioustolerance.org/ nat_mott.htm for a discussion). Not surprisingly, most of the sites discussing this are against it, from an "establishment"/"separation" argument perspective.

A similar phrase, "In God is our trust," is in Francis Scott Key's poem "The Star Spangled Banner," (fourth stanza; not sung much today) written about the British attack on Fort McHenry in 1814. It was adopted as the National Anthem in 1931 (see, for example, http:// www.bcpl.net/~etowner/anthem.html).

Philip