Interesting People mailing list archives

skype

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:03:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Gillmor <dan () gillmor com>
Date: August 12, 2005 11:57:16 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Digest 1.748 for ip

Well, Skype isn't a U.S. company, for starters.

But if Skype does that they'll be removing our ability to have any faith in the single most important part of their service: the end-to-end encryption. Not to mention the shredding of whatever trust their customers might have
given them. I doubt they're that foolish or duplicitous.

Dan

In my original note, quoted below, I worote that it
would be relativley easy for SKYPE to tap Internet
only calls. Nothing in the reply below changes that.
The voice data is easily obtained at the packet
forwarder. SKYPE supplies the 'encryption' and could
provide means to defeat it.

If SKYPE is faced with the choice of developing a
CALEA capability or being legislated out of business,
they will have no great technical challenge to
accomodate the requirment.