Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Use of gasoline grades

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:19:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Matt Murray <mattm () optonline net>
Date: August 10, 2005 5:01:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: mattm () optonline net
Subject: Re: [IP] Use of gasoline grades

As a Porsche owner I can vouch for that (2002 996 Carerra Coupe). Once a year I head out for a National Championship in Topeka, KS. Once past St. Louis, the "premium" grade gas is 91 octane. The car seemed to have run fine to and from Connecticut. Porsche specifies, 93 or better which is plentiful out here in the east. I am sure Porsche's OBDII controllers would be much happier at the higher octane.

My 1996 BMW 318i (OBDII controls) is also the same way. It does seem that it runs better at the lower octane, but I am too superstitious to run a lower grade at the Championships.

Matt Murray
Sports Car Club of America's 2002 H Stock Solo Champion in said '96 318i.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>

A Porsche engineer pointed out that their cars had to operate at
times in countries where there is no premium gas oor even midgrade
and work and standup.

Dave

So is it safe to use regular gas in a modern auto where the manufacturer specs premium?

Dave