Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Use of gasoline grades

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:11:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suzanne Johnson <sjohnson () pobox com>
Date: August 10, 2005 2:03:42 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Use of gasoline grades

Within last couple of days I read some articles that said that for cars with electronic engine controls, using any grade gasoline will work. The engines adjust to them without a glitch. The gasoline grades listed for autos are optimized to ensure top horsepower production. Using a lower grade may mean less horsepower, but the engine will basically be fine. Some cars are even known and reported to get better gas mileage on grades not recommended by the manufacturer. See, for example, clip below. I will keep searching for the other articles I read...

When EPA Mileage Numbers
Just Don't Add Up on the Road

By JONATHAN WELSH
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
August 10, 2005; Page D6

Q: My 2005 Nissan Maxima with a 3.5-liter 6-cylinder engine has EPA ratings of 20 city and 29 highway miles per gallon, I have been getting only 16 to 18 mpg in mixed driving. I have tried premium gas, and do not have a heavy foot. There are about 2000 miles on the car. Is this a common problem with Nissan? What do you suggest?
-- Jim Levinson
Milwaukee Wis.

A: Actual fuel economy often does not match EPA figures because that agency's ratings are based on near-ideal driving conditions instead of the cut-and-thrust style drivers usually encounter on the road. In our years of test drives we have found huge variations from vehicle to vehicle when it comes to meeting their EPA-rated fuel economy. While some models easily deliver fuel economy within the range suggested by the EPA, others need to be "babied" in order to come close. Some models have never even approached their EPA numbers on the road in our tests.

It might be worth your time to continue experimenting with different fuel grades. Strangely, we have heard about cases where Nissan Maximas like yours have performed more economically using lower- octane gasoline.