Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NY Times - "A Blow to Computer Science Research"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:52:46 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:01:51 -0400
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] NY Times - "A Blow to Computer Science Research"

Dave,

    Sorry for not responding to this sooner, but I've been on travel.
If you post this response, please remove my email address.  Thanx.

    If DARPA is going to quit funding long term research and focus on
short term development, then why not close all of the military bases
that are tasked with doing this work?  The ones that immediately come
to mind are the Naval Research Laboratory and the Naval Ocean Systems
Center Research & Development group, not to mention the various
service laboratories spread around the country.  This is clearly
duplication of effort and a waste of taxpayers dollars.  They should
also change the 'R' in DARPA to a 'D' for Development, thus making it
DADPA.

    FYI, have you seen the many reports that the U.S. is starting to
fall behind in technology?  Do you think the rest of the world is as
foolish as the U.S. to ever give up such a lead, once attained?
Neither do I.  No industrial policy is the worst industrial policy
you can have.

------ End of Forwarded Message