Interesting People mailing list archives

more on States Scramble To Protect Data / Dozens of Privacy Bills Introduced After Spate of Security Breaches

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:31:09 -0500

------- Original message -------
From: Michael Geist  <mgeist () pobox com>
Sent: 11/4/'05,  11:54

Dave,

Two items of note on the issue of security breaches and new
legislation.  FIrst, India has just arrested several people in
connection with ID theft and offshoring of data management -- this
issue is only going to be get bigger -
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050411/152/fg2a3.html.

Second, my regular Law Bytes column picks up on this issue by arguing
that Canada is about to embark on a new stage of privacy reform that
will emphasize a tougher regulatory regime.  After trying our hand at
self-regulation and a light regulatory system, I expect that there
will be growing calls for change including order making power for the
Privacy Commissioner, the uniform adoption of legally-mandated
disclosures of privacy breaches, and greater protection for personal
information that is outsourced to third parties. Freely available,
hyperlinked version at
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/resc/html_bkup/april112005.html
Toronto Star version at
http://geistprivacythirdstage.notlong.com

Best,

MG
--
Professor Michael A. Geist
Canada Research Chair in Internet and E-commerce Law