Interesting People mailing list archives

EarthLink's Cable Service Agreement

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:49:53 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Henry <henry.x.chen () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 03:25:12 -0700
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: EarthLink's Cable Service Agreement

I just come across the EarthLink's High Speed Cable Service Agreement
and I find it strange.

It reads:

"3. THE SERVICE Depending on the type of Service that you sign up for,
the Service may include internet access, software, hardware, email,
webspace and other features. From time to time EarthLink may impose
reasonable rules and regulations regarding the use of the Services.

YOU MAY NOT USE ANY ALTERNATE CONNECTION OR CLIENT SOFTWARE WITH
ROAMING OR VOICE CAPABILITY IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICE. THE
EARTHLINK WIRELESS ENHANCED ACCESS SERVICE IS FOR DATA ONLY. Violation
of this part of the agreement will result in an additional charge of
$0.95 per minute of unauthorized voice usage and suspension or
cancellation of your account. "

http://www.earthlink.net/cable/terms/

That sounds to me that EarthLink cable users use of VOIP such as Skype
is against of the cable usage agreement, I bet most Earthlink cable
users don't know that.  Perhaps, is it because EarthLink offer its own
VOIP and discourage its users from obeying such service from other
providers?

Henry

------ End of Forwarded Message