Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Privacy tip: be wary of Google's "personal history" feature [priv]

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:46:18 -0500

------- Original message -------
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Sent: 28/4/'05,  7:58

In message <BE963F70.31465%dave () farber net>, David Farber writes:

And just for an oldie but a goodie, let's remember that for those of us
living in the USA, the Federal government can request and search your
travel, phone, financial, and medical records, in addition to any
records maintained by libraries, religious institutions, retailers
(think Amazon, bookstores, video rental stores) without having to
disclose anything to you.

It strikes me as likely that the government can obtain your search
records from Amazon without even a minimal court order.  Note the
following item in Google's privacy policy:

? We conclude that we are required by law or have a good
? faith belief that access, preservation or disclosure of
? such information is reasonably necessary to protect the
? rights, property or safety of Google, its users or the
? public.

It's pretty hard to avoid the conclusion that they're allowed to
comply with a simple FBI request:  "we think that your user so-and-so
is an evil terrorist; can we have his search and email records?"
Sure sounds like a public safety issue, right?  Or how about
"we think that so-and-so is an evil file-sharer; can we have records
of all of her searches for 'mp3' or 'kazaa'?" from the RIAA?
That sounds like a property issue.  But we can go a step further.
Google is really good at finding information matches; what if they
themselves develop a search profile that "identifies" a terrorist,
a file sharer, or what have you?