Interesting People mailing list archives

A clear and present danger?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 04:09:35 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:18:18 -0400
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: A clear and present danger?

I¹m hoping to write more about the issue this week but I¹m taking the
unusual step of mentioning an issue directly though I could forward stories
such as
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0504030310apr03,1,2226990.
column?coll=chi-news-col&ctrack=1&cset=true
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0504030310apr03,1,2226990
.column?coll=chi-news-col&amp;ctrack=1&amp;cset=true> .

I used to think of the filibuster as a terrible way to do business but now
that it¹s my ox being gored considered it a mechanism for protecting the
minority against the tyranny of the majority by requiring a super on issues
that some considered vital. Renaming it the ³vital issues exception² might
help.

Given the complete alignment of the three houses it there does seem to be a
real danger of lock-in.

Maybe I¹m overacting but it¹s worth at least raising the issue. Perhaps
other readers would have more substantial information about the upcoming
vote.

Bob Frankston http://www.frankston.com <http://www.frankston.com/>

------ End of Forwarded Message