Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on Feds' weather information could go dark

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:36:41 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Ed Biebel <edward () biebel net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:02:42 -0400
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Feds' weather information could go dark

Dave,

I am horrified at this prospect and plan to let my Senators know that I am
opposed to this.

I manage the special operations group for my local community's Emergency
Medical Services task force.  I've come to rely heavily on the NWS site.  It
provides weather information as information and not as a news story to be
hyped.  This is extremely critical to me because I need realistic estimates
with clear context on upcoming and storms.  (I don't want to know this is
going to be the "storm of the century" but how much precipitation to expect
in an hour and starts times so I can form a plan.)

While, I'm assuming some provision will be made for government access to
this data, the reality is that small government is like small business.  You
have a lot of individuals that manage wherever they are many times.  This
type of data is invaluable and contributes to our ability to manage.

As a sidelight, I wonder if Senator Santorum will also be shutting down NOAA
weather radio so as not to compete with FM?

-Ed

------ End of Forwarded Message