Interesting People mailing list archives

more on BAD IDEA OF THE WEEK -- Google Launches Personal History Feature

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 05:14:35 -0500

------- Original message -------
From: Simon Higgs  <simon () higgs com>
Sent: 21/4/'05,  18:46

At 02:45 PM 4/21/2005, you wrote:

Here's an example. Remember when Google IPO'd? And you submitted your
application for an allocation of shares? You gave Google your social
security number as part of the process. Google can cross match every search
you've ever done back to your social security number. And it's all probably
admissible in a courtroom.

Now, if that's not enough to get you interested, think of being a stand-up
organization with API access to Google with the appropriate authority to
access private data (I'll just leave it at that), and you effectively have
a limited set of eyes on almost every desktop. Cross index searches for
applicable keywords and you are a serious player in the intelligence
business. What you do with that information is your guess.

Sleep well.

Simon