Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Re: Verizon CEO sounds off on Wi-Fi, customer gripes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:35:26 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Robert Lee <robertslee () verizon net>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:26:10 -0400
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Re: Verizon CEO sounds off on Wi-Fi, customer
gripes

I think he is feeling pretty confident now that he has so many regulatory
concessions overlaid.  Distal side of RT is limited to competition 64K
analog (no competition), installation of RT comes with no obligation to
offer advanced services (we have RT's all over our area and no DSL unless
someone goes out and finds them, submits GPS coordinates or telephone pole
ID number to PUC (which has no jurisdiction but somehow embarrasses VZ into
offering advanced services), you cannot get advanced services without taking
VZ voice (traditional or VOIP), Bells getting laws passed making it illegal
for municipalities to offer competing networks (not even using PSTN), etc.
Seidenberg has the best of all possible worlds and is now letting off some
steam.

Robert Lee

------ End of Forwarded Message