Interesting People mailing list archives

more on (don¹t expect good cell service says ) Verizon CEO sounds off on Wi-Fi, customer gripes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:39:19 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:21:37 -0400
To: <dave () farber net>, 'Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: 'Dewayne Hendricks' <dewayne () dandin com>
Subject: RE: [IP] (don¹t expect good cell  service says ) Verizon CEO sounds
off on Wi-Fi, customer gripes

The point that Ivan fails to mention is that I had to wait for him to deign
to erect towers at great expense. With 802.11 I can extend the connectivity
to anywhere I want without waiting for him.

His shareholders spent billion erecting towers on the assumption that only
he and his clones could deliver connectivity. It's a hardware version of
Excite@home when ATT bet $6G that only they could change your home page URL.

I do take advantage of Verizon's "investment" by using EV-DO
(http://www.frankston.com/public/writing.asp?name=EVDOTaste) but I don¹t
confuse that with a long term scalable solution.

It¹s not so much about the government offering services as whether
individuals can extend the network. If Verizon doesn¹t like that then we can
view the government as simply a way to aggregate our efforts.

Neither Wi-Fi nor EV-DO offer the capacity to take full advantage of
Internet connectivity but they do add to the richness. Wi-Fi, however, is
more capable of growing to meet the demand.

------ End of Forwarded Message