Interesting People mailing list archives

more on worth thinkig about -- Municipal Wi-Fi

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:00:47 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Allan A Friedman <allan () sccs swarthmore edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:33:53 -0400 (EDT)
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: "Casserly, James" <jcasserly () WILLKIE COM>
Subject: Re: [IP] worth thinkig about -- Municipal Wi-Fi

Mr. Tait does raise a good point: access alone does not solve urban
problems.  But even the most ardent digital divide activist as embraced
this by now.

The cost-per-citizen (fixed and annual) is far lower for muni wireless
than for schools, police, or road crews.  While there are some schools of
thought that argue that agenda-setting is strictly a zero-sum game, most
see political processes as more complex, so wireless would not have come
at the expense of these other factors, either fiscally or politically.

While some of the rhetoric surrounding public wireless can harken back to
a utopian era that misled many, the philly plan and similar innitiatives
should be considered on their own merits. There is significant evidence
that they can offer real quality-of-life improvement for a large number
of people.

(I happen to think the same about good public schools & libraries, but
that's another political battle)

/\llan

Allan Friedman
PhD Student, Public Policy