Interesting People mailing list archives

more on RIAA lawsuit : How news is made

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:19:41 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Patrick Ross <Pross () pff org>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:27:22 -0400
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] RIAA lawsuit : How news is made

As a veteran of college and professional journalism, I don't see the problem
with this. The RIAA answered reporters' questions and issued a press
release. CEA, EFF, Public Knowledge, etc., all issue "press releases" and
hold "press conferences." Often, those conferences are available only to
reporters (is that where you get the "closed door" reference from?). And
this transcript, as stated at the bottom, was distributed widely for
attribution, so it's hardly like this information wasn't to be revealed. If
a student reporter's story was one-sided, it's because he or she didn't
follow up with others after participating in this press conference.
Actually, I saw a number of college newspaper stories linked in blogs, etc.,
where students were quoted saying the suits were ridiculous. Criticize RIAA
all you want over suits or business practices, but what they did here seems
not only reasonable but helpful.