Interesting People mailing list archives

more on more on What if Cat Stevens had flown under a different name?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:59:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: L Jean Camp <jean_camp () harvard edu>
Date: September 24, 2004 12:55:16 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on more on What if Cat Stevens had flown under a different name?

On Friday, September 24, 2004, at 03:57 AM, David Farber wrote:

Stewart Baker asks a good question: why do so many people (and not just
on this list) complain about proactive data gathering (such as CAPPS
II) while simultaneously noting the difficulty in disambiguating names
without broader context.  I think that the answer to that question goes
to heart of my unease about CAPPS II and similar efforts.

Steven as always makes excellent points about the potential misuse of data. the second problem with the data gathering is that there is usually no coherrent threat analysis, so that the data gathering does not reduce risk but may in fact prevent effective specific threat analysis.

For example, nuclear reactor containment vessels are built so that you can fly a (70's era) jet into them without causing a breech. That is a design against a threat.

-stronger cockpit doors
-armed pilots
-an armed guard on every flight over a given size

or in terms of data
-specific background checks on people with pilots' licenses

Weak background checks on every passenger are not an effective deterrent. The effort put into ineffective deterrents is effort that could be put into effective programs.

While I suspect we will detain deadbeat dads when they try to board airplanes in the future, if we wanted a system to detect deadbeat dads we should have a debate about its value. Because the identity-based systems are not

And ironically Steve's clear and articulate discussion about reasons to dislike these systems where everyone is a suspect is met with this:

From: suresh () hserus net (Suresh Ramasubramanian)
For example, somebody called Arnold a "fascist, steroid addled bohunk" in http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/200409/ msg00030.html and
then finished up with the "Full Disclaimer" that he was not a democrat.

Does Godwin's law about people losing arguments when they start throwing around words like "nazi" and "fascist" apply to IP the way it applies to usenet? :)

Suresh is the one using the word Nazi, and the one simultaneously declaring others the problem for "throwing words around" when "losing arguments". It is exactly this rhetorical technique, and on IP pretty clearly Suresh's side of the argument that was losing, that has been so effective at preventing dialogue that could create polices that actually counter threats.

Suresh here has used the popular method of attacking his opponents in a way that requires them to defend themselves as not crazy attackers (can _anyone_ here imagine Steven using these words? He is such a gentleman. Don't let the hair fool you.) and declares nonsensically that rational arguments back indiscriminate data mining.

Now the intention of Suresh's post is to assert that the argument that dragnets based on insecure identity systems is the "losing" side of the argument because he (oh the irony!) doesn't use name calling. This kind of rhetorical technique needs to be identified for what it is - emotional explosive rhetoric that is not in any way productive or rational.

Arguments start with a premise, from which an inference is drawn and then examined, to reach a conclusion. Critiques of identity-based systems and indiscriminate data mining have good arguments. Opponents have rhetorical flourish.

thanks for your time,
-Jean