Interesting People mailing list archives

Creating an icon

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 04:56:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dr. James J. O'Donnell" <provost () georgetown edu>
Date: September 23, 2004 8:26:28 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Creating an icon

Dave, you may not listen to as much oldies rock and roll on the radio as
some of the rest of us do, but just now driving home I had a revelation:
perfectly ordinary station, perfectly ordinary night, and the next song
was Cat Stevens singing "Peace Train".  I laughed aloud at the thought
that the unintended consequence of this particular bit of nonsense is that
the Department of Homeland Security has now created the anthem of the
opposition movement.  Nobody will be able to hear that song, and
especially not Stevens singing it, without thinking of it in a new way.
Will this make us more secure or less?

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown U.