Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Ridiculous ballots (unbelievable is a better word djf)]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:30:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Seth Finkelstein <sethf () sethf com>
Date: October 22, 2004 7:17:44 AM EDT

From: Richard Fritzson <fritzson () cs umbc edu>

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/
10/20/the_art_of_stealing_elections?mode=PF

best quote

It was Richard Nixon, that scoundrel's scoundrel, who resisted the
temptation to mount a court challenge to the Illinois result because
he felt the country couldn't take it. Imagine longing for the days
when we had Republican leadership as principled as Nixon's.

        The above is something of an urban legend. See:

http://slate.msn.com/id/91350/

Was Nixon Robbed?
The legend of the stolen 1960 presidential election.

"More to the point, while Nixon publicly pooh-poohed a challenge, his
allies did dispute the results -- aggressively. The New York Herald
Tribune's Earl Mazo, a friend and biographer of Nixon's, recounted a
dozen-odd fishy incidents alleged by Republicans in Illinois and
Texas. Largely due to Mazo's reporting, the charges gained wide
acceptance."

"Another man, too, believed Nixon was robbed: Nixon. At a 1960
Christmas party, he was heard greeting guests, "We won but they stole
it from us." Nixon nursed the grudge for years, and when he was
criticized for his Watergate crimes he would cite the Kennedys'
misdeeds as precedent."

--
Seth Finkelstein Consulting Programmer sethf () sethf com http://sethf.com
Censorware Investigations: http://sethf.com/anticensorware/