Interesting People mailing list archives

Stanford -- Colloq] "If we lose the applications we lose the war" * 4:15PM, Wed Nov 10, 2004 in Gates B03

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:36:01 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: allison () stanford edu
Date: November 5, 2004 1:12:20 PM EST
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: [CSL Colloq] "If we lose the applications we lose the war" * 4:15PM, Wed Nov 10, 2004 in Gates B03

              COMPUTER SYSTEMS LABORATORY COLLOQUIUM
                 4:15PM, Wednesday, Nov 10, 2004
       NEC Auditorium, Gates Computer Science Building B03
                   http://ee380.stanford.edu[1]

Topic:    "If we lose the applications we lose the war"

Speaker:  Dennis Tsichritzis
          Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft

About the talk:

     If we lose the applications we lose the war
                 D. Tsichritzis

We are experiencing once more a major shift in the way that IT is
promoted and used around the world. The issues facing us are not
only technological but relate to finance, investment climate,
innovation, etc. We explore in this talk the signs in the
horizon. We then discuss our possible reaction. We claim that to
be successful we have to move up and really deal with
applications. Finally, we will sketch out a particular case
involving a difficult but successful reorganization.

About the speaker:

Dennis Tsichritzis is Senior Vice President of the
Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, a leading organization of applied
research in Europe undertaking contract research for private
enterprises and public bodies with 58 institutes and about 13,000
employees.

He received his degrees in electrical engineering and computer
science from Athens University (diploma 1965) and Princeton (PhD,
1968). From 1968 to 1985 he was professor of computer science at
the University of Toronto. He was also professor at the
University of Crete and director of the Institute of Computer
Science. From 1985 to 2002 he was professor of informatics at the
University of Geneva. From 1991 to 2001 he was also Chairman of
the Board of the GMD (German National Research Center for
Information Technology). He worked in several fields of computer
science, including theory, operating systems, database
management, office automation, object-oriented systems, and
multimedia. He is author of numerous scientific papers and books
and member of various national and international committees on
information technology.

Contact information:

Prof. Dennis Tsichritzis
Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Angewandten Forschung
e.V.
Schloss Birlinghoven
53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany
+49 (0) 2241 / 14-2294