Interesting People mailing list archives

Univac first digital audio synthesizer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 10:42:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Al Reiter <reitery2k () netscape net>
Date: November 5, 2004 9:25:14 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Univac first digital audio synthesizer

Hi dave farber, I was looking at your univac1 "50 years" and am interesting in a project to find out about the programs that were input to play the music for that univac1. The circuitry for it is available in the prints, but I am having trouble finding the absolute code used to play the music. Do you know who wrote that music program and and the installation it was done at? I have written the Dept Of Defense for help since I think an AF leutinent may have written it, and they are looking into it. Any help on this project would be very helpful.

See my web page about this wonderful computer. I think you were wrong about the 500 drum memory, though, unless it was some ouffline memory that was attached. It used mercury for main memory and for the computation and control circuits as well . Al reiter

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/reitery2k/univac1.htm