Interesting People mailing list archives

more on book burnings are next...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:59:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "K.E." <guavaberry () earthlink net>
Date: November 12, 2004 9:19:24 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on book burnings are next...

Hiawatha,

I agree with Dave, Tom Fairlie and Lauren Weinstein

How is it book burning to mandate that more information be provided,
rather than less? Seems like the very opposite of book burning to me...

Religious schools may teach whatever they like, but
public schools are not in the business of teaching religion.
I offer help to teachers who find themselves stuck with this problem.

Teaching Evolution vs. Intelligent Design Theory
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Teachers/newteacherevolution.html

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away ~ Philip K. Dick

Quotes From "Salvation for Sale" by Gerard Thomas Straub

" The United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian doctrine."
~ George Washington

"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." and
"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church."
~ Thomas Paine

"The Bible is not my book, and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma."
~ Abraham Lincoln

"Those who favor intelligent design want to offer it as an alternative to Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, critics want to keep the idea out of biology textbooks. They say the theory is nothing more than a dressed-up version of creation science, which the U.S. Supreme Court has prohibited from public schools as a violation of the separation of church and state.

The alternative to evolution theory is not creationism or intelligent design. But if one is to be objective one would point out that non-proven theories fall into the category of "theoretical" eg "theoretical physics"; "theoretical biology" etc. Not all disciplines have a formally separate "theoretical" branch. If the theoretical branch included philosophy, then we could point out that in philosophy, religious philosophy is compared with other ideas and concepts. Descartes' ideas are discussed in philosophy without any fear of separation of church and state. Thus for religious ideas to be discussed in biology, a separate branch of biology, being "theoretical biology" or "biological philosophy", must be considered where all unproven or contentious ideas can be evaluated together. As "intelligent design" is a religious philosophy, it does not belong in biology classes."

<snip>

there is a lot more.

best,
karen ellis

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
The Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

National Children's Folksong Repository
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Culdesac/Repository/NCFR.html

Hot List of Schools Online and
Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

7 Hot Site Awards
New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC, Earthlink,
USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty