Interesting People mailing list archives

ICANN/Domains

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:49:11 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: November 11, 2004 1:06:27 PM EST
To: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt () gulbrandsen priv no>
Cc: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>, neumann () vortex com, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: ICANN/Domains

Well... I know several people who've been in deep deep trouble because
netsol wouldn't transfer or otherwise change their domains, so a policy
change to castrate recalcitrant registrars is necessary.

I agree, penalties applied to registrars would be appropriate,
but insane "OK" defaults and 5 day timeouts are not!

Here's how to check whether your domains are locked using whois.
For .com and .net, there should be a line saying "Status:
REGISTRAR-LOCK". For .org you should see "Status:CLIENT TRANSFER
PROHIBITED". If you see OK or ACTIVE instead, the domain is open to
transfer.

This apparently only works for the Web-based WHOIS queries.
That status line does not seem to appear on the command line WHOIS
output.

I just checked and indeed my .COM and .NET domains are all locked
by NetSol.  The .ORGs are not, as one might expect.

The effects of a false transfer would almost always be much worse
than the effects of a delayed transfer.  I'd like to know how
this ICANN policy was developed, when was the public comment period, etc.?
Somehow this one slipped under my radar.

--Lauren--