Interesting People mailing list archives

WHAT'S NEW Friday, May 14, 2004

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:59:08 -0400

1. MISSILE DEFENSE: DEPLOYMENT PLAN IGNORES TECHNICAL REALITIES.
Yesterday, a group of scientists, including Congressman Rush Holt
(D-NJ), released a new Union of Concerned Scientists study that
characterizes administration claims for the missile defense
system being deployed as "irresponsible exaggerations."  They
called on the Bush administration to halt deployment, and urged
Congress to require operationally realistic testing first.  The
director of the Missile Defense Agency, General Kadish, explained
two weeks ago that the current plan is to deploy and then test
http://www.aps.org/WN/WN04/wn043004.cfm .  I asked my friend in
the agency, General Persiflage, how the plan is working
http://www.aps.org/WN/WN03/wn121903.cfm .  "Great," he exclaimed,
"initially we were told to deploy by the end of 2004; that left
no time for testing.  But now that we've stopped testing, we find
it easy to stay on schedule. We'll never go back to testing."