Interesting People mailing list archives

BBC E-mail: Editor sacked over 'hoax' pictures

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:29:33 -0400

Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:25:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Subject: BBC E-mail: Editor sacked over 'hoax' pictures
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ghicks () cadence com

Dave:

For IP if you wish.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

** Editor sacked over 'hoax' pictures **
Mirror editor Piers Morgan is sacked as the newspaper concedes photos
of soldiers abusing an Iraqi were fake.

< http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/3716151.stm >

Editor sacked over 'hoax' pictures

Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan has been sacked following pressure
over faked photos of soldiers abusing an Iraqi prisoner.

The Queen's Lancashire Regiment earlier told a press conference the
Mirror had to apologise for running the pictures and endangering
British troops.

A statement from the Mirror said it had fallen victim to a "calculated
and malicious hoax". The Mirror board said it would be "inappropriate"
for Morgan to continue.

Speaking to journalists on Friday morning, Morgan had been bullish,
saying he would not resign.

But in a news conference in Preston on Friday afternoon, the regiment
demonstrated to reporters the aspects of uniform and equipment which it
said proved the photographs were fake.

The Daily Mirror... apologises unreservedly for publishing the pictures
and deeply regrets the reputational damage done to the QLR and the Army
in Iraq.  Mirror statement

Roger Goodman, speaking on behalf of the QLR, said the regiment's
soldiers would not be celebrating but added: "They will see this as
vindication.

"It is just a great pity it has taken so long... and that so much
damage has been done in the meantime."

The Conservatives said they hoped lessons had been learned from the
row.

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks () cadence com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin