Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: Column on Google and America's Innovation Policy

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:09:57 -0400

Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:53:49 -0700
From: Tom Kalil <tkalil () uclink berkeley edu>
Subject: Column on Google and America's Innovation Policy
To: dave () farber net

For IP if you wish.

- Tom Kalil

The press has gone gaga over Google -- the world's most popular Internet search engine. With its upcoming IPO, every aspect of the company's business strategy and quirky culture has been scrutinized. One issue that has received almost no attention, however, is the important role that federal research policy has played in creating Google and other Internet companies. Past federal investments have allowed the United States to establish a commanding lead in the Internet and other advanced technologies. Unfortunately, America's innovation policy is headed in the wrong direction. As we enter the 21st century, our current policies are putting America's status
as a technological superpower at risk ...

http://www.americanprogress.org/site/pp.asp?c=biJRJ8OVF&b=71217