Interesting People mailing list archives

more on [CSL Colloq] Controlling Digital Cloth * 4:15PM, Wed May 12, 2004 in Gates B03 (fwd)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 16:46:09 -0400

Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 16:09:29 -0400
From: Rob Raisch <info () raisch com>
Subject: RE: [IP] reply to criticism Fwd: Re: [CSL Colloq] Controlling Digital
 Cloth * 4:15PM, Wed May 12, 2004 in Gates B03 (fwd)
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com

"Showing clips from the films is impossible if we broadcast
or webcast because the copyright owners won't allow it."

Have we completely discarded the copyright act (section 107 of title 17 of
the U.S. Code) which states:

"...the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction
in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by (section
106,106A), for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching
(including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is
not an infringement of copyright."

My god.  Where has the spine of academe gone?

/rr