Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Clean Image Is So Key To Google's Success, Why Take Gmail Risk?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 10:27:28 -0400

From: Steve Papa <spapa () endeca com>

Gmail risk is critical for Google. The reason why Inktomi disappeared is
that they did not have an ongoing relationship with the customer. The same
could happen to Google with an MSN (or other) search that is a step forward
from Google. Email is the most used application today which is why Gmail is
a brilliant move. If I can force a user to be at Google the entire time they
are using email I am not likely to completely lose the customer to MSN (and
others). This is the reason Yahoo still has many users - they have their
Yahoo Finance profiles, their newsgroups, their Yahoo email. Gmail will
*reduce* the risk of Google being quickly overtaken in the next inning of
the search game - it lowers the volatility of their user base - while also
increasing advertising revenue.

Steve