Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Lessig the Grey vs. Creative Commons

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 07:42:13 -0700

Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 07:25:09 -0500
From: Scott Matthews <scott () turnstyle com>
Subject: Re: Lessig the Grey vs. Creative Commons
To: dave () farber net

Hi Dave, I hope you'll provide me with the opportunity to respond.

Professor Dan Hunter's response to my comments on the conflict between
Creative Commons' "no derivative works" flag and Larry Lessig's call for a
"remix compulsory" are typical of the quality of IP debates. [ I OBJECT. IP DEBATES
ARE USUALLY HIGH QUALITY (NOT EVERY MESSAGE BUT ON AVERAGE DJF]

This professor, rather than addressing the issues, resorts to calling me
"stupid" and veers off on a "payola of intellectual property special
interests" rant.

If you were a Creative Commons artist who had chosen "no derivative works"
because you believed that it would help maintain "artistic control and
integrity" (CC's words), would you not be confused to see the Chairman of
Creative Commons calling for a compulsory that would take those rights away?

speak soon,
Scott Matthews
http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda