Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Lessig the Grey vs. Creative Commons

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 03:38:54 -0700

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:25:58 -0500
From: Dan Hunter <hunterd () wharton upenn edu>
Subject: Lessig the Grey vs. Creative Commons
To: dave () farber net

Dave:

Far be it for me to defend Larry Lessig (not that I don't want to, but he's more than capable of defending himself) however Scott Matthews' comments about Grey Tuesday/Lessig was annoyingly stupid. Mr Matthews suggests that Larry's view about the appropriate scope of copyrights in sound recordings (LL's comments that there should be a right to remix without permission and so on) somehow infects the Creative Commons licenses. Larry's position on copyright reform is wholly independent of the work of Creative Commons, which provides nothing more than a framework of standard licenses within the current copyright system. Until such time as Congresspersons turn their collective backs on the payola of intellectual property special interests and change copyright to recognize the public domain, the Creative Commons licenses provide a relatively simple licensing regime for those who--unlike Mr Matthews--don't believe that every piece of intellectual content needs to be commodified.

Of course it doesn't alter the fact that, by reproducing his email below, I have infringed Mr Matthews copyright. But I'm an IP law professor, so unlike most people playing this game I can take care of myself. But I worry when stalking horses for the music business misrepresent both the law and the facts. I'm a generous soul and so I don't believe Mr Matthews to be evil. Just stupid.

best wishes

Dan.

-------
Dan Hunter
Robert F. Irwin IV Term Assistant Professor of Legal Studies
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania
662 John M Huntsman Hall
3730 Walnut Street