Interesting People mailing list archives

BUSH SETS INTERNET ACCESS GOAL

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:37:07 -0500

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 06:25:43 -0800
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  More on Bush's broadband access policy statement on Friday.
DLH]

BUSH SETS INTERNET ACCESS GOAL

On Friday, President Bush announced he is setting a national goal of "universal, affordable access for broadband technology by the year 2007." His announcement seems to be a reaction to an earlier proposal from Sen John Kerry (D-MA) that called for "spurring the growth of new industries like the broadband technology that will dominate the future." President Bush said, "This country needs a national goal for broadband technology, for the spread of broadband technology. Then we ought to make sure as soon as possible thereafter, consumers have got plenty of choices when it comes to purchasing the broadband carrier. See, the more choices there are, the more the price will go down." The President also stressed that access to broadband technology not be taxed. President Bush spoke only of the availability of the service and did not say how many households could actually tap into it. He also did not propose tax credits or other ways to make the service available to poor households. FCC Chairman Michael Powell responded with the following statement: "The president has set out a bold vision for broadband investment and deployment over the next four years. I look forward to working with my commission colleagues, Congress and the administration to deliver on this vision for the American people. Universal and affordable access to broadband is vital to the health and future growth of our economy."

[SOURCE: Washington Post (3/27), AUTHOR: Mike Allen]
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28187-2004Mar26.html>
See also
Reuters: Bush pushes ubiquitous broadband by 2007 <http://news.com.com/2100-1028-5180235.html?tag=cd_top>

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>