Interesting People mailing list archives

more on MORE on TREK TECH

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:17:23 -0500

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:40:24 -0800
From: "Willis H. Ware" <willis () rand org>
Subject: Re: MORE on TREK TECH
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
--
Folder: YES
--
[For IP, if you wish]

There is an interesting bit of history relative to Star Trek, the series.
So far as I know, it is not anywhere else documented.

I don't know how the connection was made but somehow Rodenberry et al made
contact with a Harvey Lynn, the Administrative Assistant in the Physics
Department of RAND Corporation through the 1960s.  Harv was asked to read
many of the early Star Trek scripts for scientific appropriateness.  He did
so with the aid of his secretary, who many years later became my personal
secretary here.  I'm told that Harvey was responsible for inventing the
word "phaser" among other scientific tradecraft of the series.

He eventually retired to Texas from RDA (R&D Associates) but is now
deceased so the details of this history are probably unrecoverable.
However, his son, Harvey P. Lynn, still works at RAND in its computing
facility.

                                Willis H. Ware
RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA