Interesting People mailing list archives

more on in defense of marriage

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:24:19 -0500

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:18:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Jason Kottke <jason () kottke org>

Dave,

The results of this poll jibe with what Hendrik Hertzberg had to say in a
Talk of the Town piece in last week's New Yorker:

http://newyorker.com/talk/content/?040315ta_talk_hertzberg

The relevant bit:

The Lariat fracas is a small part of a large drama, but it is emblematic
of an essential feature of the gay-marriage debate: the most salient
divisions are not religious, political, or "cultural" but generational. To
talk to younger people is to realize that for most of them, including many
young conservatives, such notions as the idea that homosexuality is
shameful, that it is a voluntary and/or contagious "life-style choice," or
that it is some sort of threat to something or other (public order, the
family, civilization, God) are simply bizarre curios from the past, like
the belief that masturbation causes blindness. And, for what it's worth,
anecdotal impressions are confirmed by opinion research. One particularly
striking CBS News/New York Times poll, taken last year, asked respondents
if they would favor or oppose "a law that would allow homosexual couples
to marry, giving them the same legal rights as other married couples."
Among adults under age thirty, 61 per cent said they would favor such a
law and 35 per cent said they would oppose it; among sixty-five-year-olds
and up, 18 per cent were in favor and 73 per cent opposed. The numbers
vary from poll to poll, but the huge age gap is always there.

-jason

http://www.kottke.org
"home of fine hypertext products"