Interesting People mailing list archives

more on New Domain is Proposed

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:25:41 -0500

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:48:16 -0500
From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19 () bobf frankston com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on New Domain is Proposed
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com

Since I've said so much on this topic I was going to resist joining this
thread but since my name was used ...

I've moved beyond .DNS and, in fact, the IP address and am working on a
proposal that simply defines end points as the edges and uses the Internet
as just another transport. Crypto is important so we don't have to trust the
transport and third parties and I want to work out the mechanisms before
posting a working paper. PKI by itself isn't enough.

As a programmer it's important to know when to patch and when to just do a
new implementation.

Rather than repeating all the reasons why the DNS is fundamentally flawed
I'm more curious about the efforts to make it work rather than having a
stable handle and then using normal trademark and other mechanisms to map it
into the handle. As I keep pointing it, it's like requiring that we dial
1-800-John-Smith or, worse 1-800-Jane-Smith-nee-Doe. Encoding meaning into
the DNS path ... it's too obviously wrong to bother commenting on it.

This is where I disagree with Brad -- the DNS is fundamentally incompatible
with trademark because it lacks the social mechanisms to determine how
humans get confused. The goal of dotDNS was to provide a stable space of
abstract handles and move the meaning to the social space. This has evolved
into focusing on end point identifiers independent of Ye Olde Internet.

I guess it's no surprise that "we" are asking "them" (such as "the Internet
people") to solve all of these social problems with their magic technology.
The idea that we can innovate at the edges is the real message of the
Internet but it's going to take a generation to come to terms with that. I
try to write about it (http://www.frankston.com/?name=AtTheEdge) but I know
that the idea simply "doesn't compute" too those who know too much.

That's why I'm drawn to the P2P world that thinks it's the first to discover
end to end. I used to think they were naïve but now recognize the wisdom in
starting fresh because the Internet is no longer the end to end medium so
reinventing at the edges makes sense. If "kids" get the idea of peer
connectivity then the Internet has served its purpose and we can and should
move on. Kazaa vs the FCC -- no contest. The FCC (AKA the Federal Speech
Commission) is moot.

As an aside I'll note that once we no longer depend upon the Internet as a
layer the routing problem becomes simpler - the IP address is liberated to
become a circuit identifier rather than a pseudo-stable name.

Once we get over the idea that the Internet is a layer we can move on and
use it as just another transport rather than fixing it.

We need to accept that the Internet is what it is.

The edge is what can be.