Interesting People mailing list archives

more on New Domain is Proposed

From: Dave Farber <dave () FARBER NET>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:48:40 -0500

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:45:41 -0500
From: Lee McKnight <LMcKnigh () syr edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on New Domain is Proposed
To: dave () farber net

Hi Dave,

My and Milton Mueller's paper on the "The Post-.COM Internet: A 5-Step Process for Top Level Domain Additions" may be of interest to IP readers looking for background on this issue of Top Level Domain additions. We among other things summarize the cases for .mobile, .health, and Bob Frankston's idea of a .dns. Our main point is not whether any of the new propsoals are good or bad ideas, just that innovation should be possible for gTLDs as in any other market.

A revised version will be out in Telecommunications Policy later this year, or people can find an earlier version listed under publications at http://www.digital-convergence.org/

Lee McKnight

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies