Interesting People mailing list archives

Flight Risk

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:48:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Perlman <perl () lucent com>
Date: July 12, 2004 6:00:59 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Flight Risk

Dave:

Well, if Michael Scherer isn't on the TSA payroll he sure ought to be. This
may be a piece of serious journalism, but, it sure sounds like a planted
story to get more resources for the TSA and, by the way, clear hurdles for
expansion of the so-called Patriot Act.

This brings up the whole topic of managed news (AKA propaganda). Am I the
only one who noticed a sharp increase in the media concern for women in
Afghanistan prior to the US invasion? We would be very naïve if we though that the CIA, FBI, etc. had stopped doing what they have done for years, and
were clearly identified as doing as recently as the war in Vietnam.

There must be some scholarly work on this topic, and I bet that the Ipers
know where it is.

Richard