Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Over and out

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:04:24 -0500

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:46:43 -0600
From: Mike Skallas <user245 () hotmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on (seems it is not just IE -- ) MSFT: don't click on
 links, type them in by hand
To: dave () farber net

>this vulnerability is also present in Mozilla, so Mr. Link's solution >fails on its merits.

This is simply untrue.  You can test the vulnerability here:

http://www.secunia.com/internet_explorer_address_bar_spoofing_test

On firebird .7 the URL box reads:

http://www.microsoft.com%01%00 () secunia com/internet_explorer_address_bar_spoofing_test/

On Mozilla 1.5 it reads:

http://www.microsoft.com%01%00 () secunia com/internet_explorer_address_bar_spoofing_test/

On IE 6 it reads:

http://www.microsoft.com

Mike
http://everythingisnt.com

and

From: Steven Champeon <schampeo () hesketh com>
 links, type them in by hand
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: bc () clicknation com

on Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:36:08PM -0500, Dave Farber wrote:
> Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:13:34 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bruce Campbell <bc () clicknation com>
> Subject: Re: [IP] [Boing Boing Blog] MSFT: don't click on links,
>  type them in by hand
> To: dave () farber net

<snip>

> I'd be interested in knowing what browsers/mail readers fail the test.

Safari 1.1.1 (Panther) passes with flying colors, FWIW - the entire URL,
%00 and all, is displayed in the status bar (if shown). But the link still
takes you to clicknation.com.

If the status bar is hidden, which is possible by way of a window.open()
Javascript call with the right parameters - which can be launched by an
unwitting user clicking on a link with an onclick event handler defined
- then all bets are off.

Steve

--
Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier