Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FDA suggests RFID tagging of drugs

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:54:45 -0400

Right on
-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Waldvogel <marcel () wanda ch>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:42:39
To:dave () farber net
Cc:Steve Bellovin <smb () research att com>
Subject: Re: [IP] FDA suggests RFID tagging of drugs

Dave, Steve,

My interpretation of the appropriate sections in the FDA document seem
to use the RFID only passively: it will return its unique electronic
product code (EPC) for each query, and not using a challenge-response
scheme. My interpretation seems to be further supported by the
comparison of RFID to 2-D bar codes, which certainly are passive. Such a
use allows for easy copying of the EPC to counterfeit drugs. When the
system is to be used offline (which could be a goal; this is not
stated), it might even be possible to generate unique-looking EPCs.

Without a cryptographic challenge-response scheme, which would break
compatibility to other RFID systems and probably be too expensive to
manufacture, it does not provide any protection against counterfeiting.
It only makes customers carrying drugs easily identifyable, which will
aid in discrimination, tracking, and profile-building.

In summary, I expect the system to be completely BAD (Broken As
Designed). But nevertheless, I find it fascination how easily and
frequently even educated people attribute almost-magical properties to
technology.

-Marcel
http://marcel.wanda.ch/