Interesting People mailing list archives

"Security is Development" - Robert McNamara, 1966

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 05:46:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
Date: August 6, 2004 10:43:46 PM EDT
To: Farber Dave <dave () farber net>
Subject: "Security is Development" - Robert McNamara, 1966

Dave,

Readers of IP might find this bit of history very worth while reviewing. The work from 1966 is very well worth pondering in light of current events. There is much more to McNamara than "The Fog of War" might lead one to believe. Thanks to Dave Hughes for telling me about it and sharing his vast store of knowledge on this topic.

Jock

Jock Gill
Media Intelligence
jock () jockgill com
(781) 577-2888

Note: This speech was delivered by Robert McNamara in 1966 when he was
disillusioned with the US efforts in South Vietnam, and the profound
misunderstanding of the nature of international conflict in the world. He
knew there were similar types of conflicts arising all over the world
which simply promised more chaos, and could not be dealt with cost
effectively after they got fully underway - that the communists were only
exploiting them for their own purposes - and that, if we wanted a
'peaceful world' much greater effort must be expended other than military to prevent them. I was his 'Assistant for Counterinsurgency' at the time, and did the studies that underlay the speech and theory, and suggested the
central thesis that 'Security is Development' in the contemporary world,
and I crafted large sections of the speech.

It got a world wide reaction. Utter suprise at its sweep, transcending all
the other agencies of the US government who should have, but were not,
relating their efforts to global security and peace. (some thought he was
going to run for President) Later, McNamara, putting his money where his
mouth was, left the government, and took the helm as President of the
World Bank - which attempts to support 'development' in the 3d world. Of
course the US public, which hates foreign aid, and understands it even
less, did nothing. And lots of the US press, which can't grasp or report
effectively on big ideas. just glomed onto the 2 year Service idea as the
'news' of the speech.

But if anyone cares to notice, the world since 1966 (it is now 1999) has
unfolded as McNamara predicted, and there is more political violence than ever - and less ameliorative development. With the US military continuing to act as the world's policeman. And the US still confused as to its role
in the world.

David Hughes Col, US Army, Retired.
then Lt. Col. US Army

The text of the speech is at: