Interesting People mailing list archives

RIGHT ON !!! -- Election Day Offer

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 21:37:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan Goldstein <JGoldstein () urbantechgroup com>
Date: August 28, 2004 4:56:35 PM EDT
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Election Day Offer

Dave,

For months, I've dutifully read the IP posts about the problems with
electronic voting machines.  Unfortunately, I think that many of the
concerns IP readers have with electronic voting machines belie a lack of
understanding of just how bad regular mechanical voting machines can be on Election Day and just how many other Election Day problems take precedence
over the electronic voting machine issues that have been raised.

I'm a very active Republican in Center City Philadelphia. On Election Day,
I work with several dozen to several hundred volunteers and paid staff
coordinating activities for Republican candidates in Philadelphia.

If any readers are interested, I'd be happy to pair them with some of my
folks on Election Day so that they can see first hand the real problems we
have on Election Day including broken voting machines, missing or
incompetent precinct level election officials, outright fraud, voter
intimidation, illegal electioneering in and near polling places, sporadic
outbursts of polling place violence and, just for good measure, the odd
election official who refuses to comply with a court order.

I'd also encourage some of the folks who are concerned with election
integrity to focus on the absolutely abysmal state of voter registration
rolls in most of our major urban areas. The rolls are polluted with dead
people, people who have moved away and people who are registered in
multiple locations and whose names we know are being voted in more than one location. I'm happy to have an on-line or off-line discussion with anyone
concerned with these issues.

If you want to start looking into it on your own, ask your county election officials for a list of the voters registered in your ZIP+4 ZIP code or on
your block and see what you think of the integrity of the data.

To focus on electronic voting systems alone is to miss other very
significant issues.

--
Jonathan Goldstein
c: 215-266-5948