Interesting People mailing list archives

Addendum to Movie Industry DVD Chipmaker suits

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:18 -0400

___

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Tim Onosko <tim () onosko com>
To: dave () farber net
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:46:21 -0500
Subj: Addendum to Movie Industry DVD Chipmaker suits

Dear Dave Farber.

I just thought I'd add this because of the coincidental timing, coming only
a day after the MPAA lawsuits.

http://www.iodata.com/usa/news/releases.php?newsID=30&tot=25&ts=4&tsc=21

Hardware maker I-O Data, which sells primarily to Japan and Asia, just
announced a new DVD player based on a chip set by Sigma Designs, one of the
two chip companies the MPAA brought lawsuits against, yesterday.  There's
some irony, here, since this new player essentially allows Microsoft to
create its own High-Definition (up to 1080P) DVDs that can be played back
on this player and players compatible with it.

Of course, there is a standards battle about to get underway with one camp
of Japanese manufacturers (led by Sony and Matsushita) supporting so-called
Blu-Ray discs for digital High-Def programming, with another (Toshiba, JVC)
proposing another type.  At the same time, Microsoft is trying to get its
own codec, Windows Media Video 9, approved as one of the "official" video
compression systems for the new DVD.  Microsoft has hired Warren
Lieberfarb, the acknowledge "father" of the DVD (while at Warner) as their
industry consultant, and are speed-dating the film business to get a
foothold.  Meanwhile, players like this (licensed by Microsoft) will allow
them to make their own High-Definition movie discs directly, bypassing the
standards fights and conventional industry alliances.  In fact, Microsoft
has already promoted several such movie discs in the last six months, no
doubt with more on the way.

We live in a world of paradoxes and contradictions.