Interesting People mailing list archives

Citigroup: spammed if you do, spammed if you don't

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:52:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: qx49 () comcast net
Date: August 19, 2004 3:48:47 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Citigroup: spammed if you do, spammed if you don't

Dave:
I thought you'd be amused by technological Catch-22 that occurred when I tried to contact Citigroup to report an email scam that's being perpetrated in their name.

I received an email yesterday, purportedly from Citigroup, asking me to go to their web site, enter my credit card information and pin number to confirm the validity of my account. Ha!

So I went to the Citigroup web site, to see if there was a way to report this scam that's being perpetrated in their name. Lo and behold, on their main web page (http://citibank.com/us/index.htm) there's a link to a "Consumer Alert" page.

They instruct us to...
If you suspect that you've received a fraudulent e-mail, please forward it to >us immediately at: emailspoof () citigroup com

Note: Don't change or retype the subject lineĀ—this inhibits our ability to >properly investigate it. After forwarding the e-mail, you should delete if from >your inbox.

You may also want to forward it to the Federal Trade Commission at: >uce () ftc com

So I forwarded the scam email on to emailspoof () citigroup com, and I get the following "bounce" message... "Appears to be spam <snip> caught in imbaspam-ss03".

Also the ftc.com email address is invalid. <Sigh.>

Message from  yahoo.com.
Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

<emailspoof () citigroup com>:
192.193.226.97 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 554 5.7.1 Appears to be spam (qid: i7J2KgKp001050),
caught on imbaspam-ss03

--- Original message follows.

Actually the subject line of this email should have been "scammed if you do, scammed if don't"

cheers,
--Wulf