Interesting People mailing list archives

Voters See Saudi Arabia as Greatest Source of Global Terror

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:15:05 -0400

Hudson Institute

News Release
1015 18th Street, NW, Suite 300, Washington, D.C. 20036 Ph: 202-223-7770 www.hudson.org

August 20, 2004

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
 For more information, contact:
 Jean Weicher, 202-974-2425

Voters See Saudi Arabia as Greatest Source of Global Terror

Demand President Offer New Plan for Energy Self-Sufficiency

WASHINGTON - One of the most comprehensive studies of American attitudes toward energy independence and the Middle East finds that energy policy will be a pivotal issue in the 2004 presidential campaign. American voters are genuinely troubled by the rising price of gasoline and America's continued reliance on foreign oil.

The key findings of the poll indicate that:
• By an almost 3 to 1 margin, Americans prioritize "reducing our reliance on foreign oil" over "cheaper prices for oil and gas."

• 91% of Americans agreed (74% strongly agree) that "when it comes to energy, we need an America that relies on its own ingenuity and innovation - not the Saudi royal family."

• 83% of Americans agree that "reducing our dependence on foreign oil must be a top priority for the next administration."

• 57% of Americans say that the U.S. government should allow energy companies to explore for oil in Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR), as well as in many areas off the U.S. coast.

Since September 11th, Americans have become increasingly aware of the link between oil, politics, and terrorism, and they now fear that buying oil from the Middle East means financing terrorism. For this reason, Americans are overwhelmingly in favor of reducing U.S. dependence on foreign oil. In fact, by an almost 3:1 margin Americans believe that "reducing our reliance on foreign oil and gas" was more important to them than "cheaper prices for oil and gas."

These facts lead Americans to question close U.S. ties to Saudi Arabia. A soaring 60% of Americans have an "unfavorable" image of Saudi Arabia. Moreover, 57% of Americans say their opinion of Saudi Arabia has "worsened" since 9/11.

The majority of Americans recognize the commonly held belief that Saudi Arabia holds the world's largest reserves of oil - a fact that creates anxiety given the American public's awareness of Saudi ties to terror. The direct link between oil money and al-Qaeda has led Americans to identify Saudi Arabia as the greatest backer of terror in the world. Even Iran, an avowed enemy of the United States, is ranked second to Saudi Arabia as a source of global terrorism.

The poll's findings mean that the mission of any new energy policy must be to significantly reduce American dependence on Saudi Arabian oil and to increase America's energy self-sufficiency.

The existing perceptions of Saudi Arabia have a significant impact on public attitudes towards American energy policy: • 55% of Americans believe that Saudi Arabia, OPEC and other oil and gas producing countries are responsible for recent increases in the cost of oil and gas.

• 50% of Americans - when told that Saudi Arabia is the #1 holder of oil reserves among OPEC nations - support pursuing new sources of energy right here in America. That's more than a resounding 8 to 1 margin over the 6% who would favor pursuing a closer relationship with the Saudis.

• 59% said they would have a more favorable opinion toward President Bush if they learned that his energy plan included "tax incentives to car manufacturers who build hybrid vehicles in the U.S." Only 14% said that they would react negatively.

According to Dr. Mey Wurmser, Director of the Center for Middle East Policy at Hudson Institute, energy issues will clearly play a crucial role in the 2004 presidential elections. Americans are asking the candidates to adopt a new energy policy that will reduce the nation's reliance on Saudi oil, lower the rising price of gasoline, and eliminate the connection between foreign oil and terrorism. A failure to address these issues and break with past U.S. policies could prove detrimental to the candidates' campaigns."

Wurmser went on to add that "Americans want American energy. They refuse to accept our reliance on foreign sources of oil, especially when that oil is coming primarily from hostile countries in the Middle East."

Pollster Dr. Frank Luntz added, "John Kerry fired the first campaign attack on U.S. dependence on Saudi Arabian oil - and it was clearly a hit with the public. The Bush campaign risks falling behind if they appear silent on this very emotional issue. The political party that incorporates 'energy self-sufficiency' into its energy plan may seize an electoral advantage in this polarized election year. With oil prices approaching $50 a barrel, 'energy self-sufficiency' could become the key political buzz words of the next eight weeks."

This survey was released jointly by the Hudson Institute and the Luntz Research Companies. The survey consisted of telephone interviews with 800 likely voters and was conducted between August 13-15, 2004. The survey has a margin of error of 3.5%

KEY POLL FINDINGS:

1) How concerned are you personally with the recent rise in oil and gas prices?
 27% Extremely concerned
 30% Very concerned
 30% Somewhat concerned
 9% Only a little concerned
 5% Not concerned at all
 0% Don't know/refused

2) And if you had to choose, which of the following is most responsible for the recent increase in the cost of oil and gas?
 55% Saudi Arabia, OPEC, and other oil and gas producing countries
 33% Oil and gas companies
 12% Don't know/refused

3) And which of the following goals is most important to you? You have to choose.
 71% Reducing our reliance on foreign oil and gas
 26% Cheaper prices for oil and gas
 4% Don't know/refused

4) Since September 11th, has your opinion of Saudi Arabia…
 2% Improved a lot
 10% Improved a little
 27% No change
 28% Worsened a little
 29% Worsened a lot
 6% Don't know/refused

5) 15 of the 19 September 11th highjackers were of Saudi Origin (favorability)
 3% Much more favorable
 2% Somewhat more favorable
 23% Somewhat less favorable
 27% No impact
 5% Don't know/refused

6) And if I were to tell you that Saudi Arabia is the #1 holder of oil reserves among OPEC nations, and the largest single supplier of oil to the United States, would that make you want to…
 50% Pursue new sources of energy right here in America
32% More actively pursue supplies from other oil producing nations and regions such as Canada, Mexico and Western Africa
 7% No impact
 6% Pursue a closer relationship with Saudi Arabia
 6% Don't know/refused

7) Do you think that the Saudis, as the top OPEC producer, are encouraging or discouraging higher oil prices?
 66% Encouraging
 14% Discouraging
 20% Don't know/refused

8) Based on what I just read you, and given that hybrid cars cost more than the same car with hybrid technology, would you be willing to pay 10% more for a hybrid model?
 21% Definitely
 20% Probably
 24% Possibly
 13% Possibly not
 15% Definitely not
 7% Don't know/refused

9) Would you be… toward president George W. Bush if you learned that his energy plan to reduce our dependence on foreign oil included giving a tax incentive to car manufacturers who build hybrid vehicles in the United States?
 24% Much more favorable
 35% Somewhat more favorable
 4% Somewhat less favorable
 9% Much less favorable
 22% No impact
 7% Don't know/ refused

10) Reducing our dependence on foreign oil must be a top priority for the next administration.
 50% Strongly agree
 33% Somewhat agree
 8% Somewhat disagree
 7% Strongly disagree
 3% Don't know/refused

11) When it comes to energy, we need an America that relies on its own ingenuity and innovation - not the Saudi royal family.
 74% Strongly agree
 17% Somewhat agree
 2% Somewhat disagree
 3% Strongly disagree
 5% Don't know/refused

As a public policy think tank, Hudson Institute forecasts long-term trends and designs near-term solutions for government, business, and the non-profit world. We share optimism about the future and a willingness to question conventional wisdom. We believe in free markets, individual responsibility, the power of technology, and a determination to preserve America's national security. For more information about Hudson Institute, visit our website at www.hudson.org.

-30-