Interesting People mailing list archives

Apple: Accessory To Crime?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:22:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Christopher Johnsen <cj () pranaentertainment com>
Date: August 2, 2004 5:32:53 AM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Apple: Accessory To Crime?

Dave,

I’m an IP’er. I work in the music business. A small record label. I saw this article in the Boston Globe by Hiawatha Bray, a fellow IP list member.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/08/02/ apples_music_operation_hits_a_sour_note/

Apple's music operation hits a sour note

 By Hiawatha Bray, Globe Staff  |  August 2, 2004

It's not enough to denounce crime and lock up criminals, say the social scientists. We must consider the root causes of crime. Which brings us to Apple Computer Inc., which is encouraging people to steal digital music files, and undermining its own success to boot.

How's that? Apple's iTunes Music Store offered the first easy way to buy music legally over the Internet. Surely that has helped to discourage illegal file swapping. But there's a catch, as we saw last week when a rival music seller attempted to crash the iTunes party...

Hit the link to read the rest. Hiawatha makes her dubious claim in the final paragraph of the article.

 My comments, should you find them relevant are as follows:

This journalist makes a ridiculous claim that because Apple's best-selling iPod (3 million sold and counting) is proprietary in nature, only playing music files from its iTunes service, which utilizes its "FairPlay" digital rights management and does not allow its files to be played on other digital music players, nor play files from the other digital music services such as Napster, that it effectively encourages stealing. Forcing people to go to use P2P sites like Kazaa to get all of their music. That's like saying if I buy a gun for home protection, Smith & Wesson is encouraging me to enter into a life of armed robbery or murder. DVD-Audio discs don't play in my CD player, SACD's don't play in my DVD player. Proprietary formats are nothing new. Consumers make a choice. What levels the playing field is equal availability of all titles in every medium.

When I buy an iPod, I understand going in that it only works with the iTunes music service AND any MP3 music files I may already have on my computer. I'm not sure I see how that suddenly implants visions of criminality in my head. I own an iPod and I haven’t made a beeline for Kazaa or any other illegal downloading service.

Apple has done more than ANY company to offer a legal, easy and comprehensive system for consumers to download music from the internet. Rather than demonize them, why not focus on the true culprits - the music industry. If the industry would catch up and respond to consumer demand, they would make ALL of their music catalog available equally to all of the digital music download services and let the consumer make the final decision about how they would like to access and purchase their downloads.

All this journalist is doing is engaging in some kind of biased vendetta against Apple and their cutting-edge products and making an outlandish claim that buying an iPod will turn people into digital music pirates. Nothing could be further from the truth and it is just plain wrong to suggest otherwise.