Interesting People mailing list archives

American cars have a standardized data port connector under the dash

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:56:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: EEkid () aol com
Date: August 11, 2004 5:53:07 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] American cars have a standardized data port connector under the dash

Dave,

I purchased the "Car Chip" data acquisition module about a year ago from the Sears tool center near my home for about $100.  I've played around with it and am both impressed and a bit disappointed with it.  While it collects a number of various driving and engine parameters, it's serial only.  I've tried to get it to work with my laptop via a USB to serial cable (no RS232 on the laptop) with no success.  It collects about 300 hours worth of driving data but the software lacks the ability to superimpose the plotted data.  I've sent my suggestions to Car Chip but haven't received a reply.  Would I recommend it? Absolutely.  It's like ice cream for those tech geeks who enjoy seeing the correlation of alternator output voltage to RPM and Engine Temperature, etc.  It's just plain neat.  I personally think it would be a great asset to any parent who isn't one hundred percent sure their teen is driving within the speed limit, etc.  I won't comment on the ethical and philosophical implications of your teen knowing you're electronically tracking his/her driving behavior but, you will be surprised how often YOU speed without realizing it. In case you think they can simply unplug it while behind the wheel, it records that as well.