Interesting People mailing list archives

From Salon: CA has banned big SUVs on many roads but doesn't seem to know it

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:03:48 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Denise Caruso <denise () caruso com>
Date: August 10, 2004 1:27:30 PM EDT
To: farber () dsl cis upenn edu
Subject: From Salon: CA has banned big SUVs on many roads but doesn't seem to know it

Dave,

For IP if you'd like.  I love it when journalists do this kind of work. Although I doubt it will ever be enforced, I wonder if one could do citizen's citations?  (Sorry for all the references to links in the text.  They're all live in the web version.)

Denise

>> http://slate.msn.com/id/2104755/

hey, wait a minute
 California's SUV Ban
The Golden State has outlawed big SUVs on many of its roads but doesn't seem to know it.
 By Andy Bowers
 Posted Wednesday, Aug. 4, 2004, at 11:42 AM PT

Unless you drive one of the largest SUVs, such as the Chevy Suburban , the Cadillac Escalade , or the Ford Excursion , I'll bet you've watched them thundering down quiet residential lanes and wondered to yourself: W hy is that monster allowed on this little street?

Well, here's a surprising piece of news. It may not be. Cities throughout California-the nation's largest car market-prohibit the heaviest SUVs on many of their residential roads. The problem is, they don't seem to know they've done it.

I discovered this secret ban after noticing the signs at both ends of my narrow Los Angeles-area street (a favorite cut-through route for drivers hoping to avoid tie-ups on bigger roads). The signs clearly prohibit vehicles over 6,000 pounds.

I knew a 6K pound limit ruled out a lot of the larger trucks that routinely rumble by my house, unpursued by traffic cops. But then I got to thinking: Could some of those bigger SUVs exceed 3 tons? So I did some research, and I hit the mother lode.

It turns out every big SUV and pickup is too heavy for my street. Here's just a sampling: The Chevy Suburban and Tahoe , the Range Rover , the GMC Yukon , the Toyota Land Cruiser and Sequoia , the Lincoln Navigator , the Mercedes M Class , the Porsche Cayenne S , and the Dodge Ram 1500 pickup (with optional Hemi ). What about the Hummer , you ask? Hasta la vista, baby!

If you look at the manufacturer's specs for these vehicles, you'll discover that they all have a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 6,000 pounds. (Click here for more on GVWR vs. curb weight.) Some are way over (the Hummer H2 weighs in at 8,600 pounds, and its older sibling the H1 at an astounding 10,300 pounds-I'm talking to you, Governator ). Others manage to top the 3-ton mark by just a hair (the BMW X5 boasts a GVWR of 6,008 pounds). For comparison, a Honda Accord is about 3,000 pounds.

It's no accident the automakers churn out so many SUVs that break the 6K barrier. By doing so, these "trucks" (and that's how they're classified by the U.S. Department of Transportation) qualify for a huge federal tax break . If you claim you use a 3-ton truck exclusively for work, you can write it off immediately. All of it. Up to $100,000 (in fact, Congress raised the limit from $25,000 just last year). Heavy SUVs qualify for similar state tax breaks in California (up to $25,000) and elsewhere. These vehicles are also exempt from the federal " gas guzzler tax " because they're trucks. (And you probably know that many SUVs are exempt from the tougher gas mileage and safety standards of cars because they're classified as trucks, but that's another story.)

Tax advisers actually warn their clients to make sure they buy vehicles that are heavy enough to qualify for the tax breaks. Some offer helpful lists of which SUVs will tip the IRS's scales.

Here's what few people seem to realize: By weighing in at more than 6,000 pounds, big SUVs are prohibited on thousands of miles of road in California. Cities across the state-including San Francisco, Los Angeles, Pasadena, and Santa Monica-use the 3-ton cutoff for many or nearly all of their residential streets. State law gives them the ability to do this for very straightforward reasons: The heavier the vehicle, the more it chews up the roads, endangers pedestrians and smaller vehicles, and makes noise.

This isn't an arbitrary weight limit. 6,000 pounds has long been a recognized dividing line between light and heavy trucks. (For example, the Clean Air Act defines "heavy duty vehicle" as a truck with a gross vehicle weight "in excess of six thousand pounds.")

But local officials either don't realize they've banned big SUVs, or they're hoping no one will make a stink. For example, San Francisco and Los Angeles ban 6K vehicles on numerous streets (including one of San Francisco's main tourist draws, the famously twisty Lombard Street ). One L.A. city council member, Janice Hahn (the sister of L.A. Mayor James Hahn), recently proposed that fines for breaking this law be hiked from $50 for a first offense and $100 for a second to $250 and $1,000, respectively. Hahn told me her district, near L.A.'s huge port complex, is plagued by trucks cutting through residential streets.

When I informed Hahn that all the big SUVs also break the 6K barrier, she seemed surprised. "That's interesting," she said.

I asked if she thought the ban should be enforced against them. She answered bluntly: "I don't favor that." Even for 10,000 pound Hummers?  "I have my own issues with Hummers and SUVs, but this was not the intent of this ordinance."

She's right-it wasn't the intent. But that's because these weight limits generally predate the 1990s SUV craze that lured suburbanites out of their lighter sedans and minivans. It's the vehicles that have changed, not the law. These ordinances remain on the books and they're not obscure. They're clearly marked on signs in many California cities. In fact, three of L.A.'s affluent neighborhoods have the signs almost everywhere you look.

In Santa Monica ,Beverly Hills , and Pasadena , vehicles over 3 tons are prohibited on every street unless specifically allowed. (Click here for a caveat about Beverly Hills.) The exemptions are a handful of larger roads meant to be used as truck routes.

 That's right- every single residential street .

It probably won't shock you to learn that Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and Pasadena are also home to a large number of heavy luxury SUVs.

(Similar bans exist not only in cities across California but in other places around the country. Some examples I found online: Minneapolis and Edina , Minnesota; cities in Wisconsin including Wausau ,Kenosha , and Brillion ; and the Brooklyn Bridge , along with countless smaller bridges all over the nation. [Click here for more on other states.] The penalty in California is usually a fine.)

However, as I can attest from standing on my front porch, prosecution of the Golden State's ban on big SUVs isn't what you'd call robust. In fact, it's a contender for the least enforced traffic regulation in America. Since realizing the connection between weight limits and SUVs, I've noticed streets all over the L.A. area-including major ones like Wilshire Boulevard in Santa Monica and Sunset Boulevard in Brentwood-where the drivers of metal monsters thunder past clearly posted 6K limit signs without a glance. "I would be surprised if it's routinely enforced against SUVs," Santa Monica's transportation planning manager, Lucy Dyke, told me.

And don't expect to see stickers on new SUVs with warnings like "CAUTION: This Vehicle May Be Illegal On Many California Roads." At a GM dealership in Santa Monica, I asked a salesman (who declined to give his name) whether he informs buyers that the Tahoes and Suburbans he's selling them are banned on most streets in the city. "I'm not aware of it," he said.

I suspect the biggest impediment to enforcing these bans is political will-SUVs are wildly popular, and it will take brave city and state officials to challenge the right of residents to use their own streets. (Of course, like a FedEx truck, heavy SUVs are allowed to use local roads for a few blocks if they have business there-like going to or from a house. But in general, they're supposed to take the shortest possible path between designated truck routes.)

Still, some proponents of heavy SUVs will argue that these weight limits are outdated or that they should apply only to registered commercial vehicles. Nonsense.

Six-thousand pounds does the same damage to roads (not to mention pedestrians) that it did before the SUV craze. I don't know about your state, but California's ongoing budget crisis doesn't exactly leave cash to burn for road repair. (California's Legislative Analyst's Office estimates the average L.A. driver pays $700 a year in vehicle repairs because of crummy roads.) Yet despite the increased road wear their vehicles cause, heavy SUV owners can take tax breaks that mean they pony up much less to the tax system that funds street maintenance.

And frankly, a lot of these heavy SUVs are commercial vehicles by any fair definition. Remember that those owners who take the federal and state tax breaks are declaring they use their vehicles mostly or entirely for work. Often they're doctors, real estate agents, or small business owners. If California and the feds are willing to write off SUVs as work vehicles, why shouldn't the state also regulate them as work vehicles?

As it stands now, big-SUV drivers have it both ways: They use their trucklike status when it benefits them, yet they ignore the more onerous restrictions that "real" truck drivers face.

I think the Golden State has stumbled on a way to end this hypocrisy, and the rest of the country should take notice. Six-thousand pounds is a reasonable and established dividing line between passenger vehicles and trucks. (I even think it's an instinctual dividing line between SUVs that seem large, like the Ford Explorer , and those that seem absurdly large, like the Ford Expedition .)

Why not classify SUVs under 3 tons as passenger cars and regulate them accordingly? Make them meet car gas mileage and safety standards, and let them drive anywhere cars can drive.

For vehicles over 6K, classify them as trucks, pure and simple. Let their drivers use more gas, roll over more often if they want, and take tax breaks. And ban them from residential streets . Make them stick to the truck routes, including truck lanes on highways. (Heck, maybe even require a truck driver's license to pilot one.)

California cities can start by enforcing their current 6K bans, or at the very least making it clear they apply to SUVs. Just as most of us instinctively check our speed when we drive by a police car, these luxury truckers should think twice about cruising illegally down Wilshire past a Santa Monica cop. If a few Tahoe owners got slapped with tickets for driving while overweight, the rest of them might actually start learning where their vehicles are legal.

 ******

Update, Aug. 5, 2004: A number of readers have written in to take issue with my use of the gross vehicle weight rating of SUVs as the criterion for whether they violate a 6,000-pound weight limit. While I understand (and have already addressed ) their point of view, let me elaborate.

Their argument just highlights the ongoing hypocrisy that surrounds big SUV ownership. The GVWR is the manufacturer's estimate of the vehicle's curb weight, or unloaded weight, plus its maximum payload capacity including passengers and cargo. A number of big SUVs, including the Toyota Sequoia and the Lincoln Navigator, straddle the 3-ton line: Their curb weights are under 6K, but their GVWRs are over (although in the case of the four-wheel-drive Navigator, the curb weight is 5,995 lbs.).

However, those who take the federal and state tax breaks for their heavy SUVs are happy to accept the GVWR as their vehicle's official weight. After all, they must be over 6K to get the write-off. Yet now they're arguing that the actual weight of the vehicle as it rides along California streets may- may- be slightly under 6K. Since the weight at any given time could depend on how many bags of groceries are in the back, and very few residential streets have their own scales, we will never know. (Of course, this isn't an issue for the Hummer and some other vehicles, which break the 6K barrier by any measure.)

In other words, owners say their SUVs are over 6K when it benefits them and under 6K when it burdens them.

Here's my solution: Pick a number and stick with it. If owners of heavy SUVs prefer to use the lower curb weight, fine with me. I won't squawk about them cruising down streets with 6K limits, as long as the feds make them ineligible for 6K tax breaks. But if they want to hold onto their write-offs, and the ability to claim them using the GVWR, they shouldn't turn around and argue the GVWR doesn't apply in other governmental contexts as well.

 sidebar

 Return to article

Here's how the California Vehicle Code defines the term: " Gross vehicle weight rating " means the weight specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle. Each SUV maker provides this estimate of how much the vehicle weighs when loaded with passengers and cargo.

Some big SUV makers also list the so-called curb weight , or unloaded weight, which is often slightly less than 6,000 pounds. I suspect SUV drivers will argue it's the curb weight that should count when enforcing the law. But they're wrong.

Not only are the California restrictions based on a vehicle's gross weight (of which the GVWR is the manufacturer's own best estimate), but the IRS grants its tax exemptions based on the GVWR. If it's heavy enough for a tax break, it's heavy enough to stay off my street.

 sidebar

 Return to article

 SAN FRANCISCO MUNICIPAL CODE

 [Emphasis added]

 SEC. 28.1.  RESTRICTED TRAFFIC STREETS.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a vehicle with gross weight in excess of 6,000 pounds upon the streets designated in Sections 28.1.1 et seq. of this Code.

The term "vehicle" as used herein means a device by which any person or property may be propelled, moved or drawn upon a street.

The Department of Parking and Traffic shall place and maintain, or cause to be placed and maintained, appropriate signs at such places on the restricted streets and on such streets leading thereto as will, in its judgment, best serve to give notice of the prohibition contained herein.

 The provisions hereof shall not be applicable to:

(a) Any vehicle which is subject to the provisions of Sections 1031 to 1036, inclusive, of the Public Utilities Code of the State of California;

(b) Any commercial vehicle coming from an unrestricted street having ingress and egress by direct route to and from that portion of the restricted streets set forth below, when necessary for the purpose of making pickups of refuse, pickups or deliveries of goods, wares and merchandise from or to any building or structure located on such restricted street, or for the purpose of delivering materials or equipment to be used in the actual and bona fide repairs, alteration, remodeling or construction of such restricted street, or for any building or structure upon such restricted street for which a building permit has previously been obtained;

(c) Any vehicle owned by a public utility while in use in the construction, installation or repair of any public utility;

(d) Transit vehicles operated by the Municipal Railway along a regularly scheduled route;

 (e) School buses when operated for the transportation of school pupils;

(f) Any vehicle owned by the City and County of San Francisco while being used in the course of official business. (Amended by Ord. 490-78, App. 11/9/78; Ord. 193-89, App. 6/5/89; Ord. 128-92, App. 5/18/92)

 [Š]

 SEC. 28.1.78.

Lombard Street, between Hyde and Leavenworth Streets . (Added by Ord. 113-83, App. 3/11/83)

[...]

Some California cities, such as Culver City , only ban commercial vehicles over 3 tons.

But Beverly Hills seems a little confused as to what's prohibited. Some of the signs in 90210 say the ban is on commercial vehicles, and the city's ordinance doesn't really clear things up. The article of the municipal code that contains the ban is titled "Commercial Vehicles," but the ordinance itself makes weight the only criterion: "No person shall operate any vehicle having a gross weight, including the vehicle and its load, of three (3) tons or more on any street in the city Š " [my emphasis].

Traffic Sergeant Brad Cornelius of the Beverly Hills Police Department told me Beverly Hills cops do not pull over SUVs, because they are not commercial vehicles. But I think that interpretation is wrong. For one thing, the only definition of "commercial vehicle" in the Beverly Hills code comes in a different section of the same article. It is "a vehicle having a rated [payload] capacity in excess of one-half (1/2) ton." The Suburban's payload capacity, to take one example, is listed as 1,732 lbs., or well over half a ton.

Similarly, it's common for legal definitions of "commercial vehicle" to have nothing to do with whether a truck is used for business and everything to do with its weight. For instance, Arizona's definition of out-of-state commercial vehicles is simply that they weigh over 6,000 pounds and are operated in more than one jurisdiction.

 sidebar

 Return to article

MINNEAPOLIS CODE OF ORDINANCES

ARTICLE II. TRUCKS AND TRUCK ROUTES*
 __________

*Editor's note: Section 6 of 90-Or-131, adopted May 11, 1990, renumbered Art. VII of Ch. 474 as Art. II herein.
 __________

474.790. Definition. As used in this article, the word "truck" shall include trucks, trailers and semitrailers. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 441.010)

474.800. Routes established. The truck routes established by the city council as of July 1, 1960 (Chapter 9:6, 1948 Compilation of Ordinances) are continued in effect and the council may add to or modify the said routes by appropriate ordinances from time to time. The city traffic engineer shall maintain in his office at all times a complete listing of all truck routes, which said listing is hereby incorporated in this Code the same as if fully set forth herein. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 441.020)

Charter references: Authority of council to designate truck routes, Ch. 4, § 5(37).

474.810. Marking of routes. Truck routes shall be identified by appropriate signs erected and maintained by the city engineer. Further, the city engineer shall post at the city limits, upon all main traffic routes entering the city, signs notifying users of highways that trucks are only permitted to be driven on marked truck routes. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 441.030)

474.820. Duty to use routes. When any such truck route has been established and identified, any person driving a truck having a gross weight of three (3) tons or more shall drive such truck on such route or routes and none other, except when it is impracticable to do so or where necessary to traverse another street or streets to a destination for the purpose of loading or unloading commodities or for the purpose of towing a disabled or damaged motor vehicle to or from public or private property, and then only by such deviation from the nearest truck route as is reasonably necessary. A truck arriving at the end of any designated truck route may be driven over the most direct course to the nearest truck route which extends in the same general direction. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 414.020)

474.830. Permits for use of other routes. The city engineer shall have the authority, for cause or upon request, to issue temporary permits for trucks to operate over routes not established as truck routes by the city council, or to otherwise deviate from the provisions of the traffic code. Such action by the city engineer shall be subject to review and modification, or cancellation, by the city council. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 414.030)

474.840. Vehicles excepted. The provisions of this article shall not apply to emergency vehicles of the police department, fire department or health department, nor to any public utility vehicles where actually engaged in the performance of emergency duties necessary to be performed by said public departments or public utilities, nor to any vehicle owned by or performing work for the United States of America, the State of Minnesota, the University of Minnesota, or the City of Minneapolis. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 441.080)

sidebar

Other states and cities have somewhat higher weight restrictions (7,500 or 8,000 pounds for example, which lets some big SUVs off the hook but not all). Earlier this year, a New York state lawmaker tried to ban 6K-plus SUVs from parkways and city streets. If only he had known that California offered a precedent. If only California had known.

sidebar

Here's how the California Vehicle Code defines the term: " Gross vehicle weight rating " means the weight specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle. Each SUV maker provides this estimate of how much the vehicle weighs when loaded with passengers and cargo.

Some big SUV makers also list the so-called curb weight , or unloaded weight, which is often slightly less than 6,000 pounds. I suspect SUV drivers will argue it's the curb weight that should count when enforcing the law. But they're wrong.

Not only are the California restrictions based on a vehicle's gross weight (of which the GVWR is the manufacturer's own best estimate), but the IRS grants its tax exemptions based on the GVWR. If it's heavy enough for a tax break, it's heavy enough to stay off my street.

Andy Bowers is a Slate senior editor.

 Article URL: http://slate.msn.com/id/2104755/

--

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
                                                -- Philo of Alexandria

 Denise Caruso
 http://hybridvigor.org