Interesting People mailing list archives

Big Business Becoming Big Brother

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:33:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: August 9, 2004 6:27:04 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Big Business Becoming Big Brother

From: Randy Burge <burge () proactive to>
Date: August 9, 2004 8:18:51 AM PDT

<http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,64492,00.html>

Big Business Becoming Big BrotherĀ

...Corporations freely share information with
government agencies because [...] they fear increased government
scrutiny of their business practices if they don't share...

They don't have to be big business. My pharmacist told me bluntly that, his privacy policy notwithstanding, he'd open his prescription records to the cops any time they asked, because "if someone tries to break in here I want them to show up when I call."

And _despite_ that it's safer to use him than the ssn-demanding mega-chains in the same block.

I just have my doctor give a different name every time he calls in a prescription. I think that as long as she doesn't prescribe a painkiller she's probably not going to break any law that way.