Interesting People mailing list archives

The Current State of Federal Cyber Security R&D

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:21:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Harsha <harsha () cra org>
Date: July 29, 2004 1:19:04 PM EDT
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: The Current State of Federal Cyber Security R&D

Dave,

For IP?

CRA submitted written testimony to the President's IT Advisory Committee
(PITAC) as part of the committee's review of the current state of cyber
security R&D. In a nutshell, we're concerned that the federal effort is
under-funded and poorly balanced between short and long-term efforts.
Additionally we are concerned that current law has a chilling effect on some research efforts in cyber security, and that current agency policies at odds
with basic research practice appear to be driving university-based
researchers away from research funded by critical mission agencies.

The full testimony (pdf, 264k) can be found here:
http://www.cra.org/govaffairs/blog/CRA_PITAC_Testimony.pdf

Thanks!

-Peter

--